Monday, November 22, 2010

multipattern harmony..

So I'll admit, I've sort of bended the rules for the 30 for 30 challenge.  I realized a few flaws in my choices that was making it difficult to maximize my 30 items to their full potential. I've decided to swap out a few items- but only because they have not been worn to date....so technically, I still won't be wearing more than 30 items in 30 days! So I hope this might remedy my offense...

I have a hard time committing to clothing selections in advance- just ask anyone who has seen my packing. Disaster. So the problems I have encountered: I threw in a pair of wedges and a pair of cage heels into my 6 picks for shoes, but as much as I love heals- I don't wear them day to day because they are not practical for my job. (Hence why you are always seeing me in those black flats!) I've traded them both in for 2 pairs of flats:


And the pink dress with black knit overlay: I forgot how short it was and it just has not been a practical choice for day to day wear! It does look super cute with pink pantyhose and a long sleeved black tee under neath, but unfortunately not appropriate for day to day. I swapped it with another dress than is easily paired with leggings:



I have to admit, the 30 for 30 is really making me miss other items from my closet! I no longer take my extended wardrobe for granted, that's for sure! And now, without further delay, I give you my next outfit as part of the 30 for 30:







The Outfit:

Dress- Buttons- Francesca (Portland, Nov '10)
Sweater- Dynamite (gifted from Katie)
Leggings- TNA- Aritzia (Toronto, Sept '08)
Belt- Chinese Laundry- Je Suis Pest Boutique (SJ, Oct '10)
Shoes- Michael Kors- StyleSense (Toronto, Sept '08)
Necklace- Forever21 (Portland, Nov '10)


I have to admit, my black leggings have become a little thinner for wear and I am definitely going to need thicker ones for the weather! I'm looking for a pair with quality thickness in the material as well as a thicker waist band. If you could leave a comment as to where you've gotten your favourite leggings from, I'd really appreciate the suggestions!

12 comments:

Kim said...

I've always enjoyed the Garage leggings. They are on the thick side and have an okay waist. I find them a little low waisted BUT since I'm wearing it with something long, no one knows.

Emma Dilemma said...

Oh I just LOVE this outfit! So super cute!
As I already mentioned, I got my current fav at Old Navy... ** side note for all my fellow plus size girls, Reitmans has good ones & if you are ever in toronto a store called Voluptuous has amazing ones as well!

Linley said...

i've done a few swaps here and there too. i think it's just fine. (especially if you are like me and pretty much just grabbed 30 items without thinking all of them through... oops.)

love this green dress! and i love even more how it contrasts so well with your hair! looks amazing!

Linda W said...

Don't bat an eye at swapping. Everyone is doing it!
I love that dress and then I scrolled down and saw it was from Portland? Portland, OR? It's a great dress!

The Auspicious Life

Natalie said...

My favourite leggings are from LaSenza (I believe LaSenza Xpress to be exact), though I also love an old pair of Cotton Ginny ones that I punked from my mom's pile of clothes that no longer fit her.
However, I also have a pair of really thick and warm thermal leggings from MEC. However, they're quilted and technically longjohns, so I'm not sure they could easily be worn with a skirt/dress. I always pair them with a big sweater or wear them underneath jeans or dress pants. However, MEC might have a dressier version of these.

orangeandyellow said...

I like American apparel leggings. Or Aerie by American Eagle.

Shannon said...

Your dress and cardigan are so gorgeous!!! I have the same issue with my leggings....I can recommend that you NOT get them from Kohl's: mine stretch out after every wear so I have to constantly wash them to get them to fit right.

Fabienne Jach said...

Cute!

I just got a pair of Hue leggings and these suckers mean business. They're winter leggings for sure, thick, warm and well-made. I highly recommend them.

Good luck!
f

thehouseintheclouds.blogspot.com

Angeline said...

Love the green dress! So pretty on you.

Pilar said...

i was thinking of doing a similar swap for a few of my 30 items that i haven't worn yet! love that dress. the color is really vibrant!

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

Oh my goodness! I love this green! Green is my favorite!

DKNY makes my favorite pair of classic black leggings. I've had them over a year and they still look & fit like new! ;)

ClosetConfections said...

I've been tempted to swap twice, but I'm a glutton for punishment. At this point, I've also worn everything at least once, so there's no turning back. I'm a fan of the green dress swap. That was a good choice. As for leggings, my favorites have all been from Romeo & Juliet Couture.


Kendra
http://closetconfections.com