Sunday, August 15, 2010

the new kid on the block...

Have you been to Silver Daisy Designs yet? Located on King Street in uptown Saint John, this cute boutique opened its doors just shy of 3 weeks ago. The mom and daughter team initially aimed to open a kiosk together but then decided to dream big and chose the old Tapps location as the home of Silver Daisy Designs.


Kate Lordon, co-owner and jewellery designer, greeted me when I walked through their door Friday afternoon. Her mom, Germaine Doucette is the co-owner and business manager and usually works in the shop on weekends.

Marissa (left)- who also works in the store- with Kate (right).
They were both so friendly and lovely to talk to!


I asked Kate how she got her start designing jewellery. She told me how she started making jewellery a few years ago when her father became ill. She found a creative outlet in this hobby. She started out selling her hand crafted pieces at craft fairs and Rhoda's Flea Market. Silver Daisy Designs is the next big step for her. The boutique has this bright, cute, and creative appeal to it.


I asked Kate to share some of her favourite things with me. I could tell she had a hard time knowing where to start with so many great things within arm's reach. 

1. Flip flops that you can customize and personalize!




2. Accessories for your pampered pooch!



3. Colourful pottery by Britto


4. Cake beauty products



4. A unique line of greeting cards


5. All the fixings to design and create your own jewellery!
(at a reasonable cost!)







Kate & Marissa were kind enough to show me around the store. I spend plenty of time browsing and snapping photos. I wanted to share with you some of my favs within Silver Daisy Designs.

1. Matt & Nat bags and wallets
(Are you as excited about this as I am?!)







2. Built neoprene wine tote


3. Girly initial luggage tags


4. Adorable wine corks



5. The selection of China Glaze nail polish



Other cute items you can find within the store:

Jewellery hangers


Tasty-looking cupcake bath bombs

Pretty umbrellas with cheeky messages

Fashionable stationary

Flavourful candles with reusable glasses and drink recipes!



Lots of beautiful home & garden decor

Pretty scarves and pashminas

Built tote lunch bags

Lots of lovely jewellery

Kate is very excited about the a new addition to the store: a quality make-up line called Stila Cosmetics. Stila Cosmetics are based in California, don't test on animals, and recycle their containers. She estimates that you'll be able to see the cosmetic line in-store in a few weeks.

And I didn't even show you a fraction of the jewellery. To see the wonderful pieces by Kate and others she picked up in Maui, you'll have to go and visit her! The lovely little boutique is a wonderful addition to the uptown shopping area. I know it's been added to my list of favourites to visit during my Saturday morning shopping adventures!

This weekend the store is to get a make-over on its exterior! It's being painted blue with silver accent! Can't wait to see it.

Check out my last post, all that glitters, for a look at a pair of earrings designed by Kate of Silver Daisy Designs.

You can check out more of her jewellery on Silver Daisy Designs' website. You can also follow Silver Daisy Designs on facebook!


6 comments:

barb c said...

GREAT POST! I would never known to go in for a visit.

Also: I love Matt & Nat. I also love that there are now TWO shops in uptown Saint John carrying the brand!

!!!!!!!

barb c said...

never HAVE known, oops!

Jessica Weingarten said...

Aaah this looks like such a lovely store! I love Stila, Cake, Matt & Nat and China Glaze! The jewelry and home decor stuff also looks adorable!

-Jess
http://darknightholdtight.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Uptown Saint John and congratulations on your new shop! Pictures are beautiful and I wish you every success, will be stopping in for sure.
Cathy Hutchinson, owner/manager
Manchester Shoe Salon, Market Square.

Kelly Marino said...

I love seeing more Matt & Nat, but at the same time I'm like "Really Saint John, it took this long for you to catch on?" Here's to more places worth shopping!

I will say I would have never thought to go in there either. Walking by and seeing the old rickety Tapps storefront is an immediate turn off. Hope they can get that sorted out.

- Kelly
http://yourefab.wordpress.com/

DaisyLine said...

haha i didn't know that i have my own store :D great pics :)
have a nice week!
kisses
DaisyLine from http://daisyline.blogspot.com/