Tuesday, September 21, 2010

style of destruction...

Prior to this summer, I had never bought an article of clothing that already came with holes or tears in it. And usually, when I had a piece that developed a hole, it was time to say fair well to that shirt or pair of pants. I've seen plenty of destroyed denim in my day but never tried on a pair until my IT! boyfriend jeans. I fell in love with them for their cool, casual, and comfy appeal.

But then I did something I never thought you'd ever find me of all people doing. I tried on a black tee that already looked like a cat had brutalized it. And I loved it. I've always try to be so well put together and matchy-matchy but one thing that the world fashion has taught me, is that you don't always have to follow rules so rigidly: try new things, be creative, try something a little out of your own norm.

When I first saw the Alternative Apparel shredded v-neck tee in Je Suis Prest earlier this summer, I really didn't think it was for me. Then, sometime later, I spotted Urban Revision's artsy form of the stredded tee on Breakfast at Sak's blog, and it gave me a new perspective. It's edgy: it makes me feel a little rocker-estque.






The Outfit:

  • Black destroyed tee- Alternative Apparel- Je Suis Prest Boutique (SJ, Aug '10)

  • Skinny jeans- Nissi- Pseudio (SJ, April '10)

  • Hooded cardigan- American Eagle (SJ, Sept '09)

  • Necklace- H&M (Toronto, Dec '08)

  • Sandals- Clarks- Winners (April '10)

That night we were heading out to the boonies to a party at my friend Shauna's (complete with fireworks!) 

What are your thoughts, would you buy a pre-destroyed item of clothing? Or is it just not for you?


2 comments:

Courtney Erin said...

I really like the look - I don't really own anything pre-destroyed/stressed but if I am definitely not opposed to it and you pull it off really well.

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Melissa Wright said...

Yup just bought my first pair of True Religion jeans that came pre-destroyed!!! Love them!!!